Vivekananda College was established in 1970 by the Delhi Administration with the
goal of imparting education to women in East Delhi. The initial funding for the college came from both
the Delhi Administration and the University Grants Commission. The college originally functioned out of
Gandhi Nagar before shifting to its current location. As of now Vivekananda College offers courses that
are mostly in the humanities and commerce streams.
Vivekananda College occupies a campus that is spread over more than 10 acres of land.
About half the plot is given over to gardens, open spaces and playgrounds. The college has about 1200
undergraduate students taught by 80 faculty member.
The facilities available at the college include a 53,000 volume library with internet access and a
seating capacity of 140; three computer labs with internet access; laboratories for psychology and food
technology; a music room; an air conditioned auditorium with a capacity of 700; a seminar hall with a
capacity of 150 and a 200 m synthetic track for sports.